When posting on social media, a lot of business owners tend to be “all business.” Of course you want to talk about your business, but one of the best aspects of social media is making connections with people. You will reach more people and develop meaningful relationships if you also show your personality! Social media was never intended to be full of corporate profiles. Facebook even has FACE in the name! But I realize some business owners are shy or nervous about putting too much of themselves online. Here are some ideas to show your personality alongside promoting your business.
1. Put your bio and “About” pages to good use. Your bio and “About” pages should tell anyone what they need to know about your business but they should also give a little glimpse into your life and personality. So mention your family, pets, favorite vacation spot, favorite movie, favorite food, etc.
2. Post pictures of your face now and then. Social media is about making connections with other people and the best way to do that is face-to-face. In my opinion, a successful social media campaign results in your followers thinking of you as a friend instead of a corporation.
3. Add meaningful captions to your photos. Don’t just post a photo. Post a photo with a caption explaining why you love that photo. Tell me about the location and why it’s meaningful to you. Or tell me about the people in the photo and why I should care about them. This will not only make your followers relate to your photo on a deeper lever, but it will give them a glimpse into what makes you tick.
4. Share things you truly love. When posting on social media, it’s important to put your audience first. But that doesn’t mean you can’t share things you love. Have some personal Pinterest boards, talk about your favorite things and places, and share links to articles you think are important. (But also heed my warning about being controversial.)
5. Respond to every comment. How many times have you commented on someone’s photo or post and felt disappointed when you didn’t get a response? And on the flip side, how special did you feel whenever you DID get a response? Make your followers feel special by responding to each and every comment, and view it as an opportunity to further develop a relationship with that person.
Do you have any tips or recommendations for showing your personality on social media? Any success stories you want to share? Feel free to add them in the comments!